Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 20 or Sailing Away

I can't believe it! It seems like it was only yesterday that I was arriving in Benin and already we're leaving! Today we officially set sail for Tenerife. Can you believe that I'm going to spend Christmas in the Canary Islands?

Today I saw my first real life flying fish! They opened the bow and every one in a while you would see a fish skip through the water, like a small stone.
It was the most amazing thing, standing at the tip, the wind pushing against, the waves down below. You look, and as far as you see, there is only blue. So beautiful, but I think I can understand how such a sight for months at a time could drive a man insane. When you look out, you feel somehow like you are the only one. It is the most peaceful and at the same time, lonely feeling, to be the only one.

So I have officially spent my first holiday away from home. Thanksgiving was great, we had a real Thanksgiving meal. It was also my first working holiday.

I enjoy it here, the work is hard, but good. One of the things I really like about the dinning room is that there are two sides to it. There is the 'Lines' as we call it, the job where you make sure there is enough food out, keep the lines clean, and greet people. It's nice because you get to see everyone, ask them how their day was and just make small talk.

There's also the dish washing, which can be done by one, two or three people, depending on how many people are eating. That's also a good job, especially when you don't feel like talking to people. So really, no matter what mood you're in, you can still enjoy work. You aren't forced to talk to everyone, nor are you kept apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment